No matter how sophisticated the camera, the photographer is still the one that makes the picture.
~ Doug Bartlow
Here is a nice photography quote from Doug Bartlow that reminds us how important we are in the process of making the photo. We are meant to create and while the camera is a tool, you must become a more sophisticated photographer. Hopefully some of these links will help you become creatively sophisticated.
Now you’ll know that it caught my interest and important enough that I spend much time creating the resource. These are some awesome photography resource mashups for you in the categories of photography tips and ways to improve, photography articles and discussions, mobile and iPhone photography, blogging and WordPress for photographers, photography sets, cool stuff for photographers, and maybe something from nuwomb.com too.
Photography Tips and Ways to Improve
- Taking Control of Exposure - Wow what a great article about exposing the scene
- Cheap Photography Backgrounds – Sometimes we just need to know that we can get away with something cheap! Photographers get wrapped up in “high quality” and concentrated marketing.
- CJLive – Allegra Wilde – I hope you have an AppleTV, or iPad or a Tablet to just relax away from your desk to watch these videos. In light of a few links from last week related to working on your portfolio, I thought this was fitting.
- Advice for Aspiring Photographers – This is an article from in JPG Mag
- Most Popular Tips and Tricks and Hacks - Pretty awesome list of the best tips tricks and hacks for photography from LifeHacker!
Photography Articles and Discussion
- Photographer of the year – Oh Man! The photographer of the year (2011) is well deserved here. What do you think?
- Stop Advertising in Photo Magazines - This isn’t new information since people like Gary Vaynerchuk have advocated this so long ago. But I think Trey is becoming the Vaynerchuk of the photography industry…
- Shoot Before Gone – This is touching and great around the holidays. Even just losing a pet this hits home and is written better than I could have done
- 8 Reasons Iceland is the Ultimate for Photographers – Could not agree more! Iceland is on my list of MUST visit places.
- Some Thoughts from Help Portrait – This seems to be the exact purpose behind Help Portrait. Amazing and a quick read so don’t skip out.
Mobile and iPhone Photography
- Hipstamatic Introduces D-Series - This is a really interesting idea and way for Hipstamatic to approach iPhone photography.
- An app for your iPhoneography Stats – Learn the stats associated with your iPhone Photography! Really cool
- iPhoneography: Convince Jack Hollingsworth you’re a Fanatic - How big of an iPhone photography fanatic are you?
- Snapseed announced iPad App of Year – Snapseed is an outstanding app that is allowing photographers to seriously edit on the go. Mix this with iCloud and images shot from the iPhone…
- Help Jack Hollingsworth Shape his iPhoneography Workshop with this survey – This is a short survey on what you would like to see in the upcoming iPhone Photography class set for CreativeLive in January.
Blogging / Websites / WordPress for Photographers
- New Photum Theme – Says it’s responsive but I believe it’s more of a fluid homepage layout. Still a cool theme for photographers and free.
- Flashlight: Fullscreen Theme - By the top WordPress theme developer on Themeforest!
- Photolux Photography Theme- Another pimpin’ photography theme for those using WordPress
- WordPress 3.3 is out! - If you haven’t updated or want to read a little more outside the cool about 3.3 page visit this!
- WooCommerce Drop & Update for Dec 15th – This talks about the development of the plugin and shipping extension but also that WooCommerce hit a big milestone. I include this mainly because I believe WooCommerce is a great option to look into for photographers to sell their photography or prints
- Unusual but Festive Christmas Photography Set – Tis the season to be inspired and these are some unusual images!
- Beautiful Camera Illustrations – These are 5 really great graphics of retro cameras by David Pomfret
- Best Movembers of 2011 – Take a look at this post from Manpacks and you are bound to get a smile
- Strangers Portraits – What a great series of strangers’ portraits on the streets in London Englad by Sachin Khona
Cool Photography Stuff
- Mobi Slyder for iPhone – For iPhone and creating awesomely smooth video pans
- Macro Lens Band for Mobile Phones – I’m sure it’s already in the PhotoJoJo store now too but seems for all mobile photography vs just iPhone photography this time.
- Picto Dolly – Recommended for photographers that are looking to explore Mars :P I would like this to put a motor on it :)
This video is brilliant and 150% relates to photography. Fave it, set it to watch later on AppleTV, or come back here and watch it every week from now on. It’s amazingly inspiring and another perfect example of the short videos I would love to be able to create some day.
Action: If you find this even the most bit helpful or resourceful and valuable, would you please help in spreading it along?
Get it by Email | Add to iGoogle | RSS/XML Feed | Newsletter.