mardi 23 février 2010

Making a Letterpress Printed Product

via Design*Sponge de suann of simplesong le 23/02/10

I thought I’d share a quick, behind-the-scenes of designing and printing a letterpress product. SIMPLESONG is home to two (soon three!) printing presses including a Golding Pearl (c. 1906) and a tabletop Chandler & Price Pilot (c. 1940). I occasionally use metal or wood type but primarily use photopolymer plates allowing me to print pretty much any design. Here’s the basic process…


I use Illustrator for the design portion of the work. Here are sample concepts provided for a recent calling card project for client Joslyn Taylor of Simple Lovely (she chose layout 1). Once finalized, the artwork is sent out for platemaking – I use (and love) Boxcar press for this.


Once I’ve received the plates and I’m ready to print, I prep the press, trim the paper and mix the ink by hand. The plate is then positioned onto the press and each piece is printed one at a time.


In this case, because of the size I print two at a time. In letterpress printing, each color requires a separate plate and an additional run through the press. In this case, this 1-color card was run through the press just once.


Once done its trimmed to size and each piece is reviewed for quality…then its ready to go!



Ce que vous pouvez faire à partir de cette page :

Posted via email from Steve Prud'Homme Prepress Blog

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire